I voted for the poor, the hungry, the sick. I voted for Obama because I'm tired of seeing those who need Jesus alienated instead of served. We need to come alongside people and help them. I am pumped for this new season in our country. I, too, am praying for our leaders, but not in a fearful way, in a proud, excited, at-peace way.
"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered. " Proverbs 21:13
Proverbs 22:16 "He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty."



8 comments:
I think most Obama supporters say that they're doing it to care for the poor, but it's not like McCain supporters hate the poor. Maybe they want to care for the poor with their own money in ways that they choose rather than letting government bureaucracy do it for them. I would much rather give my money to a local organization caring for people than to a huge government program that will waste HUGE amounts of money simply because of its size.
Just a thought. I'm fine that people voted for Obama, but I think they assume that people who didn't don't care for the poor, which in many cases isn't true.
Love you girl...keep posting pictues of Maya!!!
Liz, good thought. I hope people give to the poor privately and I hope the government can work on doing a better job not wasting what they take in....wouldn't that be a perfect world? I definetly don't feel like Mccain peops don't care for the poor, I just felt like Obama was behind ideas that might really help. I liked both candidates this time and it was a very hard choice for me. I'm just struggling this week with attitudes that true christians=republicans.
miss you girl!
Yeah, I understand that. Christians can be really nasty sometimes when it comes to politics. Unfortunately. I'm glad it's over so we can move on to something that may actually remind Christians to love one another.
I sent you and email, Sara, of a letter written by Della's daughter Jen that I think you will appreciate very much, and a blog entry by Beth Moore. God is sovereign and He places men and women in power and He commands us to pray for them. Amen!!
I was checking how the poor, the hungry and the sick are currently helped. As I completely agree that they need to be cared for.
It should be noted that my family of 5 would receive almost the full amount of food stamps, and we would be eligible for Medicaid health insurance under the current government programs. We would receive our milk, cheese, juice and peanut butter for free since we have 2 kids 3 years old and under and I would have had name brand formula free for all 12 months of my last infants life (I breast fed). My family would receive almost $100 more in food stamps then we currently SPEND on food. (granted we don't eat steak at our house but we certain have square meals daily)
Now our family of 5 is certainly not poor. We only have 1 of the 2 able body wage earners supporting our family so I can stay home with our kids. In fact our oldest could get breakfast and lunch at our public school for 40 cents per day. (reduced for our income)
Now with that said everyone may vote for whomever they choose. That is after all the great thing about America. But let us be real - our poor have all kids of help available to them.
Now we not only don't take the "Help" that is already available to us but we also have enough money left to give generously to those in need around us. (which we certainly do in response to the bible verses you quoted in Proverbs - about the same as I pay in property tax) As I completely agree with you that it is our responsibility to do so but disagree that it is the government who should or even could do this)
As a side note we have 3 legally disabled (2 deaf and 1 cerebral palsy) relatives in our IMMEDIATE family. Who I might add are living off the current programs and certainly eat out more often than us because they can.
And somehow with our income we are able to have a stay home mom, own our own house (it is not a palace), pay all of our bills, own a rental house (whom we rent at a reduced rate to Disabled veterans), pay over $5000 in property taxes of course pay all our income taxes.
Not bad for being "poor" according to the government standards. What America really needs is a lesson in accountability. Your reap what you sow America. If you make bad choices, expect bad results. Unfortunately, we just don’t really want to be accountable for our own actions. (i.e. abortion, bankruptcy, foreclosure, bail out) We are like a bunch of spoiled children who cry more, more, more, more!
Wow. Good for you Jenny. Good for you.
For Appropriate Submission to Authority
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
—Romans 13:1
Loving Lord God, in Your grace and goodness, You have given us the gift of free will and have mingled it with Your sovereign will and authority. We thank You today for this powerful gift. We open our hearts to trust completely in You—to look to You in every part of our national life, accepting Your will as wise and good.
As we pray for our newly elected President, we ask for grace to see Your hand at work. May we willingly acknowledge that You are the one who establishes all authority, and that those who are lifted up to serve do so at Your good pleasure. We ask You to unite us in that understanding, Lord, that our nation may move forward in Your will. In Your holy name, amen.
The folks in lower income situations vote for Democrats in an overwhelming majority. They have for a long time, as far as I know. Its because Democrats have done a better job, in their collective opinion, of caring for their needs. It is a telling criticism of the Church that it cannot or chooses not to provide, so government must do so. There will be waste and abuse in any organization large enough to waste and abuse, but I'd rather be cheated than to ignore the commands of Jesus and hear the stern words "Whatever you didn't do for the least of these, you didn't do for me."
Post a Comment